- 1 large bunch Kale finely chopped
- 2 Carrots shredded
- 1 Pint of Grape Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup soaked Pine Nuts
- 1/2 cup Sundried Tomatoes soaked and chopped into itty bitty pieces
- 1 Red Onion cut into thin rings
- Several raw Black Olives
- Juice of one Lemon
- 1/4 cup Cold Pressed Olive Oil
- Celtic Sea Salt to taste
- few dashes of Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
Mix all ingredients…set in fridge overnight. Enjoy the next day! – From Kim, Raw Foodist
So, what is Kale Slaw anyway? Obviously, the key ingredient in the slaw is Kale—organic, fresh and raw. There are many different types of Kale, and the flavors of each type can vary with the season. Try different types as the seasons change.
Other ingredients that tend to get tossed into the mix are grated carrots, toasted cashews, scallions, red cabbage, mung, sunflower or lentil sprouts, toasted sunflower seeds, marinated tofu, and a plethora of other veggies, seeds, and nuts, only limited by our imagination or pantry stock.
It is the dressing that varies so widely and distinguishes one slaw from another. Here are a few variations from some of the cooks at our local Moscow Co-op Market:
- Kenna’s working girl Slaw: equal parts or thereabouts Annie’s Sesame-Ginger vinaigrette and Mayonnaise. Whisk together and pour over slaw veggies.
- Laura’s variation: Curry. Laura suggests finding a curry yogurt dressing and using that on Kale Slaw.
- Kelly’s variation # 264: 1 good daub Veganaise, lime juice, rice vinegar, 1 good daub green chilies, fresh or dried basil, tamari, ginger, garlic.
- Sarah’s: Veganaise, lemon juice, sesame oil, tamari, ginger and garlic.
- Kelly’s variation # 173: Equal parts nut butter (I like almond, p-nut or cashew) and Veganaise, rice vinegar, tamari.
- Vicki’s Kale Slaw: Mayonnaise, sour cream, garlic, ginger, marinated baked tofu, red onions, tamari, toasted cashews.
Kelly’s Sesame-Gingered Kale Slaw (From Kelly Kingsland at Affinity Farms in Moscow, ID)
- 1 bunch chopped Kale
- 1/2 c chopped Scallions
- 1 c thinly sliced Purple Cabbage
- 2 grated Carrots
- Any other greens or veggies you want to use: play around!
Mix veggies and set aside.
- 1 c Mayonnaise
- 1/2 c Minced Ginger
- 1 T Toasted Sesame Oil
- 3 T Tamari
- 1/2 cup Toasted Sesame Seeds
- 1 sm. Dollop of Honey
Blend together in a food processor, or using a wire whisk. Pour and toss over the mixed greens.
Helpful Links and References:
- The Kale Slaw Phenomenon: http://www.moscowfood.coop/archive/kale.html
- All about Kale: http://health.learninginfo.org/nutrition-facts/kale.htm (Note that Kale is a goitrogen in raw form but not in cooked form so cook away for you thyroid patients!)
- Goitrogens: http://naturalhealthtechniques.com/SpecificDiseases/thyroidbadfoods.htm