- 2 cups Raw Almonds, soaked 4 hours to overnight, then rinsed and drained
- 2-4 cups Water
- 1 Tbls. Vanilla (not imitation)
- Sea Salt (Optional)
Put nuts in blender and cover with water 1-2 times above the level of the nuts. Less water makes a richer milk: more water makes a skimmer milk. Blend at high speed until the nuts are chopped as fine as possible. This will take less than a minute in a high-speed blender, longer in a regular one.
Get a large colander and line it with piece of clean, plain muslin cloth. Put the colander inside a larger bowl to catch the liquid. Pour the slurry into the cloth a bowl beneath to catch the milk. Gather it up and hold the bag tightly closed, gently “milk” the ground nuts and water until most of the liquid is pressed out.
Add a touch of sea salt if you wish to make it taste more like cow’s milk, or other desired flavors. Serve or refrigerate. Use within 4 days.
Makes about 4 cups. (It was still good after 7 days, but I froze the leftovers of the second batch in ice cube trays.)
Modified from: The Raw Food Gourmet—Going Raw for Total Well-Being by Gabrielle Chavez © 2005
Helpful Links and References:
- Benefits of almond milk: https://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1734140/10_benefits_of_almond_milk.html
- Nutritional information on almond milk: https://www.livestrong.com/article/111231-almond-milk-nutritional-information/
- Almond milk hazards: https://www.ehow.com/list_5889714_almond-milk-side-effects.html Store bought milk usually contains sugar—the recipe above does not. This article also discusses almonds as a goitrogen but I’m not so sure about that.
- Almond Milk Making Machine: https://veganbits.com/home-made-almond-milk/ (if you think this recipe is too hard which it isn’t)
Dr. Denice Moffat is a practicing naturopath, medical intuitive, and veterinarian working on the family unit (which includes humans and animals) through her phone consultation practice established in 1993. She has a content-rich website at www.NaturalHealthTechniques.com and free internationally distributed monthly newsletter.