Dog Food Diets
Raw Food and Homemade Recipes:
Examples of a homemade dog food recipe. Note that each dog is different with different health concerns and often it is better to have the diet modified by a qualified veterinarian/healer to muscle test the exact needs of your pet.
Meat Supplement for Dog Kibble (1 Batch)
- 3 cups chopped or ground raw turkey, chicken, lean hamburger, lean chuck or lean beef heart.
- 4 teaspoon Oil (Rotate oils and use whatever you have. Sometimes bacon grease is OK, too)
- 5 Teaspoons Healthy Powder or Missing Link
- 2 Teaspoons Bone Meal (or 1200mg other calcium as recommended ground up)
- 800 i.u. Vitamin E (use high quality brand, not dl-alpha tocophorol which is made from petroleum—motor oil!)
- 1 capsule Vitamin A
- 3/4 cup raw vegetables (mixture of Beans, Broccoli, Carrots, Greens, Parsley, Pumpkin, Dandelion Greens)
Mix the oil, powders, and vitamins together. Combine this with the mean. Feed ¼ cup of this mixture for every cup of dog kibble served.
Make 8-9 servings (about 2 cups)
Cottage Cheese Supplement for Dog Kibble (1 Batch)
- 4 cups dog kibble
- 1cup creamed cottage cheese
- 2 Tea. Vegetable Oil or other recommended oil
- 2 ½ tea. Healthy Powder or Missing Link
- 1 1/3 tea. Bonemeal
- 400 i.u. Vitamin E
- Vitamin A (None)
- 3/4 cup raw vegetables
Mix the oil in with the kibble. Sprinkle powders over the kibble. Serve the cottage cheese and vegetables together on the side or mix with the kibble.
- 2 cups nutritional yeast
- 1 cup Lecithin Granules
- 1/3 cup Kelp
- 1/3 cup Bone meal
- 1000mg. Vitamin C powder (about ¼ teas Sodium Ascorbate)
- 1 Tea. Garlic Powder
Note from Dr. Moffat: I think that rose hips, acerola or ester C would be a better choice for vitamin C. Sodium ascorbate is a man-made product.)
Also, please chop and add either to food or give separately daily 1 TBLS of some kind of fresh fruit.
Books on Dog Diets:
- Dr. Pitcairn’s new Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats by Richard H. Pitcairn and Susan Hubble Pitcairn © 2005
- Switching to Raw by Susan K. Johnson © 1998
- The Healthy Dog Cookbook: 50 Nutritious & Delicious Recipes your dog will Love by Jonna Anne, Mary Straus and Shawn Messonnier © 2008
- Raw and Natural Nutrition for Dogs: The Definitive Guide to Homemade Meals by Lew Olson © 2010
- Woofing it Down: The Quick & Easy Guide to Making healthy dog Food at Home by Patricia O’Grady © 2007
- Raw Dog Food: Make it Easy for You and Your Dog by Carina Beth MacDonald © 2003
- Real Food for Dogs: 50 Vet-approved Recipes to Please the Canine Gatronome by Arden Moore and Anne David © 2001
Vet advice on homemade dog food: http://www.ehow.com/way_5290942_veterinary-advice-homemade-dog-food.html