Pesto is used on pasta, in soups and salads and is a wonderful way to get some parsley in your system. You’ll find a few recipes in this section that use pesto.
- 1 ½ cups fresh Basil Leaves
- 1 ½ cups fresh chopped Parsley
- 2 cloves fresh Garlic
- ¼ cup Pine Nuts
- ½ teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt
- ¾ cups grated Parmesan Cheese
Combine above ingredients and whir in a food processor until it makes a thick puree then add in approximately:
- ¾ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sterilize several 4-ounce jelly jars and pack the fresh pesto into the jars. Cover the pesto with a thin layer of Olive Oil and freeze the extra that you will not be using immediately. Thaw as needed.
Note: As you use the thawed pesto, wipe the inside of the jar with a paper towel or Kleenex and cover the newly used portion with another layer of Olive Oil. This will prevent air from reaching the unused portion and prevents mold from growing on the sides of the jar so that you can use all of it without having to throw any of it out. I’ve had one batch of pesto in my freezer for over 5 years and it’s still good after thawing. I’m almost ready to make a new batch. . .next year.
Helpful Links and References for Pesto:
- Parsley Health Benefits: http://naturalhealthtechniques.com/Product_information/Herb_Parsley.htm
Explore other pesto recipes: (Thanks to Jessica Drollette for researching these links)
- Gnocchi with Kale, Parsley and Walnut http://www.theveganwoman.com/theres-a-new-pesto-in-town-gnocchi-with-kale-parsley-and-walnut-pesto
- Kale Pesto Hummus http://www.endlesssimmer.com/2009/06/03/when-theres-nothing-left-to-do-besides-saucin-it
- Kefir Parsley with Zucchini, Peas and Udon Noodles http://www.endlesssimmer.com/2009/07/20/feeling-good-about-creaminess
- Kefir Pistachio http://culturedfoodlife.com/kefir-pistachio-pesto/kefir-pesto
- Kale and mixed greens http://www.inerikaskitchen.com/2012/02/kale-pesto-recipe.html
- Vegan Pesto Recipe http://vegetarian.about.com/od/morerecipes/r/Veganpestorec.htm
- Garlic and kale Pesto (coconut or olive oil base) http://www.recipebridge.com/recipe/221/17176289/garlic-scape-coconut-oil-pesto