From the kitchen of Amanda Hixon
Ingredients for Butternut Squash Soup:
- 2 T Organic Butter
- 1 cup Chopped Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 medium Butternut Squash (or other winter squash) peeled, seeded, and cut in 1″ cubes (or cook first, and scoop out)
- 1/2 Granny Smith Apple, peeled, cored, and diced
- 3 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 1/2 c. Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 1/2 t. Salt
- 1 t. minced Fresh Thyme or 1/2 t. dried
- 1/2 t. Pepper
1. In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté for 5 minutes. Add squash and apple and sauté another 5 minutes.
2. Increase heat to high, add remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the squash is tender, about 30 minutes.
3. Remove from heat, in two batches, transfer soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Return to pot to warm.
Soup can be held in refrigerator for up to three days or frozen.
Helpful Links and References:
- How to peel a butternut squash: https://youtu.be/AyPC8U4v59c
- Nutritional value of butternut squash: https://draxe.com/nutrition/butternut-squash-nutrition/