Table of Contents
Oven-Roasted Green Beans
I obtained this recipe in part from reading Cook’s Illustrated magazine. They have an amazing content in that magazine sharing every reason for doing or not doing something to make the flavor and curb-appeal tantalizing.
For this recipe use garden fresh or the freshest beans you can purchase. These beans are sweet, crisp and tender. Roasting can also be used for the somewhat older beans. When roasted they are deeply caramelized with full-flavor. Roasting also encourages the Maillard reaction—a chemical response that creates flavor through browning. Cook’s Illustrated (Rebecca Hays is the Chef for this recipe) says this recipe disappears ‘faster than a tray of french fries’. This recipe uses half the fat you’ll find with the same bean recipe served in places like China Buffet. If you line the pan with foil it makes for easier cleanup. Enjoy!
Roasted Green Beans
Ingredients for Roasted Green Beans:
- 1 pound Green Beans, stem ends snapped off
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil (combine with Toasted Sesame Oil for a Asian taste)
- Table Salt and Ground Pepper
- *Add optional items
*Optional Items: Red Pepper Flakes, Goat Cheese, Sun Dried Tomatoes Olives, Red Onion, Walnuts, Garlic, Ginger, Sesame Seeds
Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 450 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil; spread beans on baking sheet. Drizzle with oil; using hands, toss to coat evenly.
Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt, toss to coat, and distribute in even layer. Roast 10 minutes.
Remove baking sheet from oven. Using tongs, redistribute beans. Continue roasting until beans are dark golden brown in spots and have started to shrivel, 10-12 minutes longer.
Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, transfer to serving bow, and serve.
Notes for Oven Roasted Green Beans Recipe:
- I used Toasted Sesame Oil for half the oil. I should have toasted the Sesame Seeds and added them last as they didn’t brown at all when I mixed them in before tossing them onto the foiled baking sheet.
- Add any aromatics (garlic and ginger) halfway through cooking and they won’t scorch. Adding a spoonful of honey or maple syrup creates an appealing glaze and creates more caramelization. Add any raw ingredients such as toasted nuts or seeds, fresh herbs or crumbled cheese when the beans have finished cooking to provide textural interest.
Reference for Roasted Green Beans Recipe:
- Healthy Recipes on Natural Health Techniques: https://naturalhealthtechniques.com/recipes-home-page/
- Cooks Magazine Reference for Roasted Green Beans Recipe: https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/2203-roasted-sesame-green-beans?incode=MCSCD00L0&ref=new_search_experience_11