Table of Contents
Natural Remedies for Stones
(Kidney, Gallbladder and Bladder Stones)
Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs and Juices used to help and prevent stone formation:
- Agrimony: helps to reduce bleeding caused by kidney stones.
- Alfalfa: A magnesium high herb to juice or make tea out of.
- Apple juice: Used to alkalize the urine.
- Asparagus: Used to alkalize the urine.
- Birch leaf tea: The albumin content in the urine can be reduced through the consumption of a tea made from birch leaves; this tea has a strong diuretic action.
- Carrot Juice
- Cherries: Used to alkalize the urine.
- Cramp bark reduces infection, pain and spasms.
- Cranberries: Help prevent stones in some people by reducing the excessive amounts of calcium commonly found in the urinary tract. Since the calcium-phosphate stones are most common in alkaline urine, cranberries and other herbs that acidify urine also help prevent stones. Not good though for people with oxalate stones or people with gout. Read more about Cranberry Concentrate under My Favorite Products.
- Dandelion: A magnesium high herb to juice leaves or make tea from roots.
- Dill: A magnesium high herb to juice or make tea out of.
- Fennel: A magnesium high herb to juice or make tea out of.
- Goldenrod has received official recognition in Germany for its effectiveness in getting rid of kidney stones. Not the best for allergy sufferers as this is a highly allergenic herb.
- Goldenrod reduces infection, pain and spasms.
- Goldenseal tea
- Gravel Root (also called Joe-pye weed, Queen of the Meadow, Eupatorium Purpureum) Nicknamed “gravel root” for its ability to get rid of stones by dissolving uric acid. Seems like this is overrated and it doesn’t work as well as Hydrangea root. Gravel root reduces infection, pain and spasms.
- Horsetail (equisetum) tea helps aids in diaphoresis (sweating) and is also high in natural silica.
- Horsetail (Equisetum): A magnesium high herb to juice or make tea out of.
- Horsetail helps to reduce bleeding caused by kidney stones.
- Hydrangea Root (my favorite): Helps to eliminate the stones and reduce or relieve the pain. (See handout on Hydrangea Root-link below)
- Kidney Stone Tea (see below)
- Lemon juice: Helps to eliminate the stones and reduce or relieve the pain.
- L-Glutamine can also help prevent kidney stone formation.
- Low Protein diets: Used to alkalize the urine.
- Magnesium: Acts to protect the kidneys from deposits of calcium accumulating in any significant amount. Kidney stones can result whenever there is a lack of magnesium in the body. You might want to check out the signs and symptoms of magnesium deficiency if you have stones. If you have a few of these symptoms, it would be good to get a magnesium supplement to fit your body type and take it.
- Meadowsweet helps dissolve uric acid.
- Nettles (Urtica dioica) helps alkalize the urine, provide needed minerals and reduce bleeding caused by kidney stones.
- Parsley: A magnesium high herb to juice or make tea out of. https://naturalhealthtechniques.com/parsley-health-benefits/
- Plantain: (Plantago) Used by the Chinese to treat kidney problems. Helps dissolve uric acid.
- Potassium citrate: Keeps the calcium in urine suspended in a fluid state, and actively prevents it from settling inside the kidneys thus protecting the kidneys against stone formation. Diets high in refined carbohydrates (white sugar and flour) are low in potassium.
- Rose hips: High in vitamin C.
- Rosemary: inhibits urease which can form the nidus for some stones secondary to bacterial infections.
- Sarsaparilla helps dissolve uric acid.
- Shepherd’s Purse helps to reduce bleeding caused by kidney stones.
- St. John’s Wort helps to reduce bleeding caused by kidney stones.
- Stone Root (See Gravel Root)
- Strawberries: Used to alkalize the urine.
- Thyme tea
- Vitamin A: Vital in the restoration and healing of damaged mucous membranes along the internal lining of the urinary tract and the bladder.
- Vitamin B6: The formation of kidney stones is also possible with vitamin B6 deficiency. B6 regulates the proper utilization of oxalic acid within the body.
- Vitamin K: Helps build proteins within the tubules to protect them from being damaged by calcium oxalate crystals. Leafy green vegetables are high in Vitamin K. (See Link below)
- Watermelon Seed tea: Specifically recommended by Edgar Cayce for kidney stones (Case 1695-2). It was also suggested to simulate underactive kidneys. If practical, the tea should be made fresh for each use. (See link below for the Edgar Cayce foundation)
“At least once a day, three days a week, take watermelon seed tea prepared by pouring a pint of boiling water over a tablespoonful of watermelon seed (ground or cut) and allowing it to steep. Let it cool, then strain and drink.”
- Yarrow helps to reduce bleeding caused by kidney stones
Other Natural Remedies for Stones:
- Regular exercise especially rebounding.
- Avoid Oxalate foods: If you do eat oxalic foods, try not to eat foods high in calcium at the same time—this means that spinach and cheese soufflé or chocolate milk are especially problematic. (See Oxalate food list https://naturalhealthtechniques.com/list-of-high-oxalate-foods/ )
- A vegetarian diet can help those with uric acid kidney stones, if these are supplemented with supplements such as folic acid, minerals like magnesium, and the vitamins B6 along with potassium citrate.
One Recipe for a Kidney Stone Tea:
- 2 teaspoons Hydrangea root
- 1 teaspoon Wild Yam Root
- 1 teaspoon Cramp Bark
- 1½ quarts Water
- 1 teaspoon Stone Root (Joe-Pye Weed)
- ½ teaspoon each Corn Silk, Plantain Leaf and Yarrow Leaf
Add Hydrangea, Wild Yam and Cramp Bark to water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, add other herbs, cover pan and steep for at least 20 minutes. Strain and keep refrigerated. Drink 3 to 4 cups daily. If bleeding occurs, add 30 drops Shepherd’s Purse tincture to each cup of tea.
A tea is especially appropriate when treating a kidney infection because you should already be drinking plenty of water to keep kidneys flushed and help prevent the stones from forming. For convenience, you can also take this formula as a tincture; take 2 to 3 dropperfuls a day.
Helpful Links and Other Appropriate References for Natural Remedies for Stones:
- Edgar Cayce Foundation: https://edgarcayce.org/
- Stones, Drugs Causing Urinary Stones and Crystals: https://naturalhealthtechniques.com/drugs_causing_stones_crystals/
- Stones, Kidney, Bladder, Gall: https://naturalhealthtechniques.com/kidney-bladder-gallbladder-stones/
- Stones, Medical Treatments: https://naturalhealthtechniques.com/medical-treatments-for-stones/