- 1 ¼ cups packed Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Almond, Apricot, Canola or Corn Oil
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract (not imitation)
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 3 cups fresh, chopped Rhubarb Stalk
- ½ cup chopped Almonds
- 2 ½ cups unsifted Spelt Flour
- 1 teaspoon Aluminum-Free Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt
In a mixer bowl combine brown sugar, oil, egg and vanilla extract; beat until well blended. Stir in buttermilk, rhubarb and nuts. Combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Add all at once to rhubarb mixture; stir just until mixed. Fill greased muffin pans two-thirds full. Apply topping (below).
- 1/3 cup Cane Sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon melted Butter
Combine sugar, cinnamon and butter. Sprinkle over muffins, pressing gently into batter. Sometimes I add a handful of oatmeal to the topping and instead of making muffins, I pour the batter into a greased pan and top with the topping to make a rhubarb cake, cobbler or crumble.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until muffins test done.
Makes about 2 dozen muffins. They freeze well.
Tip: Don’t have Buttermilk? Add a tablespoon of lemon juice to the cup and bring the volume up to one cup. The milk should curdle.