I’m always looking for complete protein, low-fat, tasty salads that are not boring. Here’s a recipe we like. The neighbors like it too, so it must be a keeper. We took a bowl over to our neighbor, Tim, and he ate both servings before his wife made it home for a taste. When Barb finally made it home, she was asked to trek on over to get the recipe. She made another whole batch the next day. Here’s the recipe:
Ingredients for Rice-Bean-Corn Salad:
- ½ cup Long-Grain Brown Rice
- 3 Corn cobs or ½ large bag frozen kernel Corn
- 3-4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 small Red Onion, finely chopped
- 1 fresh Tomatillo, finely chopped (the recipe called for Green Chilies, but I’ve noticed that Green Peppers and the Pepper family cause some major fibromyalgia signs for about 4 days after eating them, so that’s why I substituted the Mexican Husk Tomato (Tomatillo).
- 1 Tablespoon fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon fresh Lime Juice
- ¼ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 Tablespoons chopped, fresh Cilantro
- 14 oz. cooked and drained Garbanzo Beans
- ¾ cup lean Black Forest Ham, diced
- Celtic Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Rice: Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the rice and return to a boil, stirring once or twice. Reduce the heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes until the rice is tender. Drain and rinse under cold running water; drain again, and set aside. You can use white rice which takes less time to cook, but I like the brown rice as it has more fiber and B-Vitamins in it and is healthier for you.
For the Corn: Scrape down each corn cob with a knife to remove the kernels. Place in a bowl and set aside. Scrape along each cob to remove the milky residue and transfer to another small bowl.
Now heat 1 Tablespoon of the oil in a pan. Add the corn kernels and cook gently, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes until tender. Add the Red Onion and Tomatillo, and then stir over low heat for about 1 minute until blended. Transfer to a plate and set aside to cool slightly.
Place the Lemon and Lime juices in a large bowl and whisk in the Tabasco sauce, 2-3 Tablespoons of the remaining oil, and the milky corn liquid. Whisk in the chopped Cilantro until well combined.
Using a fork, fluff in the cooked Rice, Corn and Onion mixture. Add the Beans, Ham, and season with Salt and Pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately. Keeps in the fridge for several days, if it isn’t snarfed down before you get it there.
Rice-Bean-Corn Salad was Modified a bit from: 1000 Low Fat, Salt, Sugar, and Cholesterol Healthy Recipes by Parragon © 2001
Dr. Denice Moffat is a practicing naturopath, medical intuitive, and veterinarian working on the family unit (which includes humans and animals) through her phone consultation practice established in 1993. She has a content-rich website at https://naturalhealthtechniques.com/