At first I saw God as my observer, my judge, keeping track of the things I did wrong,
so as to know whether I merited heaven or hell when I die.
He was out there sort of like a president.
I recognized his picture when I saw it, but I really didn’t know Him.
But later on, when I met Christ, it seemed as though my life were rather like a bike ride,
but it was a tandem bike, and I noticed that Christ was in the back, helping me pedal.
I don’t know when it was that He suggested that we change places,
but life has not been the same since.
When I had control, I knew the way. It was rather boring, but predictable…
It was the shortest distance between two points.
But when he took the lead, He knew delightful long cuts, up mountains, and
through rocky places at breakneck speeds, it was all I could do to hang on!
Even though it looked like madness, He said, “Pedal.”
I worried and was anxious and asked, “Where are you taking me?”
He laughed and didn’t answer… and I started to learn to trust.
I forgot my boring life and entered into the adventure.
And when I’d say, “I’m scared,” He’d lean back and touch my hand.
He took me to people with gifts that I needed, gifts of healing, acceptance and joy.
They gave me gifts to take on my journey, my Lords and mine.
And we were off again. He said, “Give the gifts away; they’re extra baggage, too much weight.”
So I did, to the people we met, and I found that in giving I received,
And still our burden was light.
I did not trust Him, at first, in control of my life. I thought He’d wreck it;
But He knows bike secrets, knows how to make it bent to take sharp corners,
Knows how to jump to clear high rocks, knows how to fly to shorten scary passages.
And I am learning to shut up and pedal in the strangest places,
And I’m beginning to enjoy the view and the cool breeze on my face
With my delightful constant companion Jesus Christ.
And when I’m sure I just can’t do anymore, He just smiles and says…”Pedal”
Author Ralph Unknown
The Road of Life has been published in the following books:
- Parish Nursing: Promoting Whole Person Health within Faith Communities (Page 24) by Phyllis An Solari-Twadell and mary Ann McDermott © 1999
- We Miss You: An Outreach Program for Inactive Catholics (Page 58) by Gary Petri, Nancy Koley and Marian Klostermann © 2003
- 52 Paths to Heaven: Discover How Simple Joys and Tough Times Shape Your Journey (Page 75) by Michael M. Murray © 2007
- The Bingo Farm (Page 109) by Paulie’s Boys © 2005
- The Twelve Step Prayer Book: A Collection of Favorite Twelve Step Prayers and Inspirational Readings (Page 104) by Bill P and Lisa D. © 2004
- E-Praise 4 Gifting (Page 27) by Al Allaway © 2008
- How Can I Let Go if I Don’t Know I’m Holding On? Setting Our Souls Free (Page 86) by Linda Douty © 2005
- Uniquely His (Page 13) by Matilda Kipfer and Pam Eichorn © 2003