Yogurt from Raw Milk (and Raw Milk Ice Cream):
I made a leap in 2015 and started purchasing raw milk from a neighbor’s dairy in an attempt to support their farm. What I didn’t expect is that the phlegm I usually produced drinking homogenizes, pasteurized and ultrapasteurized products never happened! It was like a miracle. After a few months I tried yogurt from raw milk and raw cheese from her dairy. It was kind of bland, but I had read a few books on raw milk and found that it contained natural bacteria that would kill off any bad bacteria.
Raw milk also contains Wulzen anti-stiffness factor which functions as an arthritis preventative enzyme. This factor is killed off with heat.
I also read about how Big Ag had systematically attacked and discouraged any dairy person not wanting to ‘get big or get out’. These small dairies have to have tests for milk safety on a regular basis and spot checks as well. Their milk has to have less than HALF the bad bacteria than Grade A dairies or their businesses are shut down. Frankly, they have a raw deal.
More than that. . .there are hundreds of thousands of people who get sick using pasteurized milk products–hundreds times more statistically than those who get sick drinking raw milk. It just goes on and on. I’m not giving up MY raw milk without a fight!
Ingredients for Yogurt from Raw Milk:
- ½ gallon Raw Milk
- 1 Tbls Arrowroot powder
- 1 packet Yogurt starter (or just add 1/2 cup of your favorite plain yogurt that contains live bacteria–we use Nancy’s brand)
Directions for making Yogurt from Raw Milk:
- Turn oven on to 200 degrees. Let the oven come up to temperature then turn the oven off. Keep the oven door closed. Keep the light on.
- Put milk into a pan over medium heat. Bring to temperature of 116 degrees.
- Remove ½ cup of the warm milk and add the Arrowroot to the ½ cup of milk. Mix together then pour it into the rest of the milk and stir gently.
- Sprinkle the Yogurt starter over the top of the milk. Let sit to hydrate the starter in the milk for 2 minutes then stir gently for about 10 seconds.
- Pour the liquid into 2 glass quart mason jars. Put the lids on to cover but don’t screw them down very tightly. Put the jars in a pan (so they won’t tip over) and into the oven (keeping only the oven light on) for 6-12 hours.
- Remove from oven and refrigerate. Use within 9 days.
The entire process of warming the milk and adding the starter takes about 20 minutes.
Raw Milk Yogurt Ice Cream:
Sometimes I don’t use up all my raw yogurt within the 9 day period so I put it all into a blender, add a little honey and 1 cup of fresh or frozen fruit (or a little more) and blend it. I stick the blender bowl into the freezer for about 1-2 hours then remove it and blend it a second time. If you don’t do the second blending the Ice Cream settles out and becomes a weird texture. After that, pour it into a covered dish and freeze it for at least 4 hours before serving so it can set up. Enjoy!
Helpful Links and Resources for Yogurt Making:
- Arrowroot Powder: StarwestBotanicals.com
- Why doesn’t my processed milk spoil? https://naturalhealthtechniques.com/ultrapasteurized-milk/
- Book: The Untold Story of Raw Milk by Dr. Ron Schmidt https://www.amazon.com/Untold-Story-Milk-Pastures-Contented/dp/0967089743/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=truth+about+raw+milk&qid=1582312544&sr=8-6
- Frequently Asked Questions about Raw Milk (Awesome resource): https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/faq-dairy/
- Yogurt Starter: I order the Yogurt Sample Pack (CP-y) from Cheesemaking.com