Zone Balanced Burritos
From the Kitchen of Dr. Denice Moffat
Ingredients for Zone Balanced Burritos:
- 6# Pot Roast– Cooked several hours with your favorite seasoning in some beef bouillon broth to cover the roast. (I use garlic, oregano, bay leaves, parsley, red pepper seeds, and 2 chopped onions). Cook until meat shreds easily with a fork. Discard all fat.
- Four 32 oz. Cans Rosarita traditional or Low Fat refried beans
- 2 pound brick of Colby-Jack Cheese– grated
- Two 15 oz. cans Hominy- discard juice and blend with some of the roast juice on low until smooth
- Four 6 oz. cans Chopped Black Olives– grind in blender with some of the roast broth
- 1 cup Raw Hulled Pumpkin Seeds
- Two 4-6 oz cans Diced Green Chilies (Optional if you’re trying to stay away from nightshades)
- 60 8” Flour or Corn Tortillas (corn tortillas have less carbs and you can eat it w/o discarding one end of the shell)
In a very large bowl put the meat into the bottom of the bowl. Add chilies, seeds, ground hominy, ground olives and stir. Next mix in beans, then add the cheeses.
Heat 10 tortillas at a time on a plate for 2 minutes in the microwave. Plop onto each shell ½ cup of the filling, roll it up and wrap individually in waxed paper. Store in zip lock baggies in freezer until needed.
Makes 60 Zone Balanced Burritos.
To Heat: From the freezer, heat each burrito 2 minutes on high in the microwave (if you use a microwave) then check for warmth. You may have to turn it over and heat an additional minute. Or, if you prefer not to use a microwave, thaw the burrito first, wrap in foil over the waxed paper or not, then heat in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.
One burrito equals three 3 Zone Diet blocks. but you have to either not eat the flour tortilla shell at one end of the tortilla, or eat 2 tablespoons Low-fat cottage cheese to provide the balance of protein. You may eat the entire shell if made with a corn tortilla with no additional protein.
One Zone Diet Block equals 3 grams fat, 7 grams of protein and 9 grams of carbohydrates. Dr. Barry Sears developed a way of eating that balances out the amounts of carbohydrates, unsaturated fats and proteins to keep the blood glucose balanced and stable. This way of eating is excellent for people with diabetes, heart disease and many other health problems.
Nutrition Facts for one Zone Balanced Burrito: (Approximate figures): Calories: 224, Protein 19 grams, Carbs (white flour tortillas) 40 so throw away one end after eating the filling, Polyunsaturated. Fat 2gms.
Helpful Links and References for Zone Based Burritos:
- A Week in the Zone book summary: https://naturalhealthtechniques.com/a-week-in-the-zone/
- The Zone and Blood Type Diets Combined: https://naturalhealthtechniques.com/zone-and-blood-type-diet/
- Dr. Sears site on Eating in the Zone: https://www.zonediet.com/
- Dr. Peter D’Adamo’s site on eating for your blood type: https://dadamo.com/