Is Fasting Safe?
By Dr. Denice Moffat
Nobody has ever died as a result of a few weeks of intentional fasting. If it makes things sound better in your home, call it a liquid diet. If you talk to anybody about fasting, most people will think you have totally lost it. Don’t listen to them. Get educated! Before fasting you should have a thorough understanding of all the steps involved and you should become acquainted with a practiced practitioner who knows what they are doing (and has done a fast of the duration you would like to do) that you can call to ask any questions if necessary.
After juice fasting, you should feel stronger and more revitalized, your health will improve, your physical and mental working capacity will increase and you will look younger than before you started the fast.
Fasting is the oldest therapeutic method known to man.
Fasting was used by Galen, Plato and Socrates to “attain mental and physical efficiency.” Pythagoras fasted for up to 40 days at a time. Hippocrates, the Father of Medicine, prescribed fasting to his patients. And the great physician, Paracelsus, said, “Fasting is the greatest remedy.”
Swedish Fast Marches led in the 1950’s and 60’s, by Dr. Lennart Edren proved to the world the safety of fasting. Participants of these fasts marched 325 miles—that’s 33 miles/day—for ten whole days without solid food! And their health improved. As a matter of fact, participants had more energy AFTER the fast than before.
It was observed that serum albumin levels remained constant, as did blood sugar levels, even though no protein was consumed over the course of the 10-day march. Body protein is in a dynamic state of breaking down (catabolism) and building up (anabolism). When old or diseased cells decompose, the amino acids are simply recycled to build young, healthy cells.
One doctor, Otto Buchinger, Jr., has supervised over 90,000 successful fasts. Russian doctors have found that fasting is the most effective treatment for schizophrenia—64% of the patients improved mentally after 20-30 days of controlled fasting.
Edgar Cayce, the Sleeping Prophet, believed that fasting was of the mind and involved a setting aside of self in order to become a clearer channel for creative and spiritual energies. He recommended fasting for poor diet, poor assimilations, poor eliminations and incoordination between the sympathetic and cerebrospinal nervous systems, imbalances or toxins in the circulatory system, improper acid-alkaline balance, glandular malfunctions and general congestion of the body.
A 54-year old Scottish woman juice fasted for 249 days. Not only did she not harm herself, but she lost 74 pounds and got rid of her arthritic pain.
Fasting extends your life. One experiment done on rats showed that limiting them from overeating and systematically starving them increased their lifespan 2 ½ times! Proponents of fasting declare that aging is not commensurate with calendar years, but rather with the health of the cells. During fasting, the concentration of toxins removed from the body and appearing in the urine can increase ten-fold.
What Conditions Does Fasting Help?
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Angina pectoris
- Back pain
- Benign ovarian and breast tumors
- Cardiovascular disorders
- Chronic constipation
- Chronic Streptococcus infections
- Cold, flu and fever
- Coronary artery disease
- Crohn’s disease
- Diseases affecting locomotion
- Diseases of the liver and gallbladder
- Disorders of the stomach and intestines
- Environmental allergies
- Fibroid tumors
- Heart attack prevention and recovery
- High blood pressure
- Insulin resistance
- Joint and vertebral degeneration
- Lagging libido
- Low blood pressure
- Mental illness (especially schizophrenia)
- Muscle and connective tissue disorders
- Nasal polyps
- Post-treatment for malignant disease (The residue of a dying cancer cells can be highly toxic. A fast does more than detoxify noxious by-products of malignancy; it degrades abnormal cells and tumors, releasing cellular toxins and by-products into the circulation for elimination.)
- Psychosomatic disease
- Respiratory diseases of all kinds
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Skin diseases
- Ulcerative colitis
Helpful Links and References for Is Fasting Safe:
- For how to do a Juice Fast: https://naturalhealthtechniques.com/juice-fasting/ and the best fast to get rid of and control yeast and candida is the 5-day water only fast. You can read about that here: https://naturalhealthtechniques.com/the-water-fast/