Natural Health Techniques Newsletter
Dr. Denice Moffat, Medical Intuitive Volume 8 No. 3 April 2012
(Never a dull moment over here. Sheesh!)
In This Issue:
- From the Desk of Dr. Moffat: About.com Best Medical Intuitive Finalist.
- Winners of last month’s drawings. If you’re a subscriber, you may have won! Good luck and thanks for reading.
- Health in the News: Neti pots and brain eating amoeba. Medical Mystery in New York.
- What’s New on the Website? Blog tutoring from Del Hungerford
- Case of the Month: Multiple Chemical Sensitivities
- Product of the Month: Products for Digestive Disturbances & the Zypan Test
- Media Reviews: (DVD) Northern Exposure Season 4 Episode 5
- Interview: Tonya Somers Psychic Clairvoyant
- Ask Dr. Moffat: Milk substitute for 1-year-old baby. Food Additive Detox Drops.
- Tips and Tricks for a Healthier Life: The six most toxic cleaning agents. Disposing of Sacred Books.
- Client Testimonials: Doc’s permanent home
- Healthy Recipes: Dilled Carrots
- Inspiration & Perspective: Dog plays piano—and sings too! On aging from TUT. Karmatube video. Reverend Bonnie Barnard’s Blog.
- What’s New at Our House? Elk Meadow Farm & Nursery activity.
- Local Events: Sunday March 31, 2012 Renew Your Resolution yoga workshop with Deb Pehrson in Deary, ID
(Please note that full names are never used in this newsletter or on my website without the full consent of the sender or client. Some cases also encompass groupings of cases with similar symptoms and suggestions for healing in an attempt to educate the general public.)
From the Desk of Dr. Moffat:
I’m asking for your votes! I’ve been nominated and am a finalist for the Best Medical Intuitive at www.about.com. I’m neck and neck with another woman and need your votes! The contest ends March 21st but, no matter what happens, I want you all to know that you’re tops in my book and I appreciate your faith in me. Namaste. Denice (Here’s the link to vote with—every vote is important!):
This month’s prize winners: For those of you who are currently signed up for my newsletter, your names were put into the hat for two drawings this month (March, 2012). The first was for an Animal Communication reading for your pet by Lydia Hiby (www.LydiaHiby.com) which was won by Susan McNeil. The second winner for a consultation from me was won by Melissa Doktofsy. Congratulations you two and thanks for reading my (at times very long) newsletters over the years. If you know of anyone who would like to join in the fun for these monthly drawings, please have them sign up for my newsletter. A sign up box is on every page of my website at: https://NaturalHealthTechniques.com. We will be drawing again next month for a free consultation from myself, so check to see if you’ve won in the next newsletter.
Health in the News:
Neti Pots and Brain Eating Amoeba: A case came up a month or two ago in Louisiana where a couple of people using Neti Pots were utilizing their shower water instead of making a saline solution using distilled or sterilized water. Apparently the water was contaminated with Naegleria fowleri, an amoeba which worked its way from their sinuses into their brains. “The parasitic organism infected the victims’ brains with a neurological disease called primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAME) which rapidly destroys neural tissue and typically kills sufferers in a matter of days.” Read the full story here: https://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/12/19/brain-eating-amoeba-fatalities-linked-to-common-cold-remedy/#ixzz1owT6SFUH. (Thanks to Angela H. in Boise ID for sending this.)
Medical Mystery? Mass Hysteria? Who knows? January 17, 2012, officials from LeRoy Junior-Senior High School in upstate New York are baffled by 12 girls’ mystery symptoms of Tourettes-like twitching. This should be an interesting case study. Could it be associated with environmental chemicals, female hormones? The gardasil vaccine? I read one article which discussed Erin Brockovich (a consumer advocate played by Julia Roberts in a movie by the same name) heading over in that direction to check things out. My bet is that if anyone can find something environmental, Erin can. Read the full story: https://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/17/10173998-teen-girls-medical-mystery-baffles-doctors
What’s New on the Website?
Not much new on the website this month—I’m still updating my pages. I was tutored on how to build a blog by one of my favorite clients Del Hungerford (https://freefromverbalabuse.net), but I haven’t gotten anything looking right yet and have a ways to go in connecting it to the site.
Case of the Month: Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS)
Other names for Multiple Chemical Sensitivity include: Environmental illness, Chemical AIDS, 20th Century disease, Total allergy syndrome, Sick building syndrome, Chemophobia, Gulf War Syndrome and Immune dysregulation.
Interesting Facts about Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS):
- Multiple Chemical Sensitivity symptoms are ongoing, reproducible and repeated upon exposure to the trigger.
- Multiple Chemical Sensitive people are often referred to psychotherapists for “help” when allopathic practitioners don’t know how to help the MCS person.
- Patients with MCS syndrome can have severe symptoms that interfere with daily life and work.
- The MCS patient improves once the pollutant and chemical triggers are removed.
- Avoidance and removal of pollutants and toxins are the key to minimizing multiple chemical sensitivity reactions.
- Multiple Chemical Sensitivity is a clinical syndrome defined as an unusual, severe sensitivity or allergy-like reaction to many different kinds of pollutants including solvents, VOC’s (Volatile Organic Compounds), perfumes, petrochemicals (including diesel and smoke), synthetic chemicals in general and MCS often encompasses reactions to pollen, house dust mites, pet fur and dander.
- The mechanisms of Multiple Chemical Sensitivity reactions are not well understood which often makes treatment with conventional medicine and practices ineffective or inappropriate. Some tests that could help diagnose MCS are actually not a part of the routine tests recommended for discovering the diagnosis.
- MCS people are even allergic to some types of clothing and many seek to purchase used sheets for their bedding so as to minimize exposure to toxins.
- Most patients (85 to 90 percent) complaining of MCS syndrome are women. Most present between the ages of 30 and 50 years.
Some symptoms of Multiple Chemical Sensitivity include:
- Anxiety and panic attacks
- Blurred vision
- Burning, stinging eyes
- Difficulty concentrating
- Digestive upset
- Extreme fatigue/lethargy
- Heat intolerance
- Memory loss
- Muscle & joint pain
- Numbness of extremities and fingers
- Personality changes (anger/anxiety/nervousness) upon exposure to a trigger
- Runny nose (rhinitis)
- Sensitivity to light and noise
- Sinus problems
- Skin rashes and/or itching skin
- Sleeping problems, insomnia and sleep apnea
- Sore throat, cough
- Stress (Well yeah! Wouldn’t you be stressed or stressed out if you had to watch and wonder about everything you ate, drank, touched and breathed in?)
- Watery eyes
- Wheezing, breathlessness nausea
Multiple Chemical Sensitivity people often react to extremely low levels of irritant, toxins and triggers. These levels are often so low “normal” people are not even aware of them and don’t react to the presence of these substances. Of course this makes them look like hypochondriacs and frankly it’s pretty embarrassing for them at times. Features of MCS often seem unrealistic, impossible and implausible to the public, the family of the MCS person and to conventional scientifically-trained practitioners involved in cases like these.
Some common things I’ve heard clients relate to me over the years regarding multiple chemical sensitivity include phrases like:
- “What IS your problem?
- “Ahh, you’re just making this stuff up to get attention.”
- “Don’t you think you’re over reacting a bit?”
- “Don’t you think this is all in your head?” and my personal favorite. . .
- “I bet if I sprayed (herbicides) and you didn’t see me do it that you wouldn’t react to it.”
The fact is (and I know this from personal experience and from client interactions) that these unthinking, unbelieving people that don’t understand what they are doing IS hurting the MCS person. The offender does not see what the multiple chemical sensitive person is going through several days after they spray their poisons. The MCS person DOES know that some kind of chemical has been used and they ARE reacting to it.
People spraying herbicides and pesticides often ignore ‘No Spray’ signs posted outside of the client’s property. These sensitive people end up having to stay inside their house because they are in agony and can’t get out of bed for a few days. The lucky ones get out of town for a few days to a pre-established “safe house” usually of a friend or an understanding family member. The offenders are not knocking on the MCS person’s door to check out the results of their ‘experiment’. They just assume they can spray whenever they want and not take responsibility for their actions. As one of my patients aptly put it. . .
“If only the person spraying could spend just ONE day in my body and feel what I’m feeling after they spray. Maybe they would understand.”
Wouldn’t it be so nice to know in advance that a neighbor or county was going to spray for weeds so the MCS person could make a decision as to what they were going to do and how they were going to accommodate? Ahh the perfect world. The MCS people I know personally don’t feel it’s their job to stop people from using inorganic farming techniques. They know this is a goal that they cannot accomplish realistically–they just want to know when they are going to spray or burn so they can make some choices on how to handle it and minimize the discomfort in their bodies.
Why are MCS people so sensitive to herbicides and pesticides? One resource I read talked about enzyme depletion. Enzyme depletion mechanisms are used in some pesticides to augment the primary poison. This mechanism blocks enzymes in the plant or body so that it cannot metabolize and break down the chemical thus keeping the poison in the body for longer periods of time so that toxicity is accentuated. It could be that some humans are more sensitive to this mechanism than others.
So, how can a person be affected by such a miniscule amount of chemical? One theory is that the patient has become sensitized to the chemical. But how does that happen? Some evidence indicates that just one whopping exposure of a chemical in a body that is sensitive to chemicals can cause multiple chemical sensitivity. This is the process of sensitization.
Sensitization: People with multiple chemical sensitivity often report that they had no symptoms before that single large exposure of a toxin, but that after that exposure, BAM. . . symptoms every time they are re-exposed—even at micro doses. Other research indicates that the patient has been exposed to a host of chemicals over a long period of time and finally their body just has had enough, so it is now reacting to many different chemicals.
Sensitization is defined as a true allergic reaction to one chemical or irritant and is caused by involvement within the body of mast cells and IgE antibodies. Once sensitized to a particular irritant, a subsequent exposure to even a tiny amount of the same irritant (yes, even parts per million or parts per billion) can cause an extreme allergic reactions.
One thing I’ve noticed with my own sensitivities is that often a group of toxins will contain the same chemical—like petrochemicals. It’s amazing how many products out there contain petrochemicals. It’s also a mystery why a person may react to a bunch of products that contain petrochemicals yet not react to other products containing which also contain them. Maybe it’s the combination of ingredients within a product?
Conditioned response: Another theory to being so sensitive includes the conditioned response. A conditioned response happens when two unrelated events occur at the same time and one event becomes associated with the other. When the first event is later repeated, the second event also manifests itself for the sufferer. We see this in patients that are traumatized emotionally. When a trigger event pushes someone’s button, their body responds the same way it did when they were initially traumatized.
Theoretically then, we should be able to use psychotherapy, Neuro Emotional Technique, Emotional Freedom Technique, hypnosis or past life regression to erase these responses or eliminate the trigger reaction. I’ve used some of these techniques on myself, but it hasn’t eliminated the reactions entirely. Every little bit helps though, so I do recommend exploring those avenues for clients who have multiple chemical sensitivities.
Generalization is another theory explored as to why symptoms show up in multiple chemical sensitive individuals. In the process of generalization, when the patient’s senses are triggered by a chemical that smells anything like something they are allergic to, they subconsciously are alerted to the possibility of a reaction so their body responds accordingly. These reactions are not true allergic reactions involving the release of immunoglobulins—specifically IgE.
Augmentation of existing disease: Being multiple chemical sensitive can augment and further debilitate patients who are also experiencing common allergies, depression, asthma and food intolerances. A majority of MCS people fit into this category.
Immune System Disruptors: There are a number of toxic chemicals which have been implicated in major single exposures for people who then subsequently became Multiple Chemical Sensitive sufferers. These chemicals are also known to be immune system disruptors. These chemicals include organochlorines, formaldehyde, pesticides, herbicides and organophosphates.
Exposures Precipitating Symptoms of Multiple Chemical Sensitivity:
Certain professions seem to harbor a number of chemicals that can trigger multiple chemical sensitivity. Some of these professions include:
- Artists who use mixed media (oil based paints and arc welding)
- Beauticians (perfumes, shampoos, acrylics, nail polish and remover, perm solutions, hair sprays)
- Being around air fresheners, room deodorizers, aerosol sprays and scented candles
- Construction and road workers (petrochemicals, paints, asphalt, gasses)
- Dog groomers (shampoos, pesticides, perfumes, nail polish and remover)
- Dry cleaning industry (dry-cleaning fluid, laundry detergents, moth balls and spot removing agents)
- Factory workers working around any toxic chemicals day after day
- Farmers (non-organic) using pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, sulfur and dormant oils
- Janitors and house cleaners (floor wax, air fresheners, smoke, furniture polish, pine tar agents and room deodorizers)
- Library workers (molds, fungus and the chemicals on NCR receipts)
- Mechanics (petrochemicals and solvents)
- Medical profession (anesthetics, cleaning agents, formaldehyde, latex)
- Morticians (embalming fluids) Ahh, remember those days of anatomy and cadavers?
- Painters and the painting industry (solvents, oil-based paints, lacquers, paint thinner, varnish, shellac)
- People who smoke or who are around those that do (tobacco or marijuana)
- Perfume industry (colognes, aftershave and perfumes of all kinds)
- Pest control (insecticides, herbicides, molds, petrochemicals, endocrine disrupting agents)
- Printing industries (solvents and some printing inks)
- Research lab workers (xylenes/phenols and a host of other chemicals used in research)
- Working in a building filled with molds/mildews
Case Studies: Silicone Breast Implant Leakage causing Chemical AIDS and Severe Latex Allergies
I remember my first case of Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. I was a beginning alternative practitioner and boy oh boy, were my eyes opened. The client was a nurse who had decided a few years earlier to have breast augmentation. She chose silicone implants. Well, the implants leaked. She had them removed but it was too late. In her words, she caused herself to have chemical AIDS. Her life was pretty much hell after that. She wouldn’t even take a sauna with another person for fear of their “off-gassing” and being afraid that she couldn’t handle the extra toxins in her body. She had every gadget for detoxification that I had ever seen or probably will ever see. She knew every doctor in the area and which ones she could trust and which ones were even a little bit open to her much-researched theories. And she had moved to an area where she felt the possibility of being exposed to chemicals was minimized. She used non-toxic everything and ate as organically as one can in a small town. Her life continues to be one chemical crisis after another to be controlled and managed.
Another client of mine who has latex allergies found herself in the emergency room. As the doctor was drawing up some drug to put into her IV fluids, she told him that she would go into anaphylaxis if he did not change the needle before injecting the substance into her line (he had already inserted the needle into the fluid port.) That miniscule exposure of the needle going into the latex cap on the bottle is what she would react to. He didn’t believe her, so she warned him to have some epinephrine and a crash cart handy. Within 30 seconds after the injection she went into anaphylaxis (as had happened twice before.) After they were able to bring her back from death, he apologized. How many doctors must this woman go through to find one or two that believe her? How can she feel safe traveling and being away from that doctor, system or team of people who know her case history? Who would want to move or start over with building a new team of healers after going through something like that? She has experience many anaphylactic reactions and had several Near Death Experiences because of this sensitivity. More and more health care providers are becoming sensitized to latex. Her case is just an extreme example. Some of my nurse clients have actually had to leave their jobs because of this allergy.
Behavioral Characteristics of the Multiple Chemical Sensitive Person: Multiple Chemical Sensitive patients often significantly alter their behavior in an attempt to avoid trigger chemicals.
- Multiple Chemical Sensitive people use non-toxic cleaning compounds.
- They change the types of clothing they wear to avoid dyes and synthetic clothing.
- They change their diets, use organic products, don’t like trying new foods and don’t eat out often because they fear reactions to hidden chemicals in the food—or they eat the same foods all the time.
- Multiple Chemical Sensitive people explore alternative medicine techniques (eventually).
- Many leave their jobs because of trigger exposures.
- They limit contact with friends (especially those friends who don’t understand the dis-ease.)
- They limit their travel (too many toxins and aberrant electromagnetic fields in the hotels/motels and in the sick buildings.)
- They read, read, read lots of labels, articles, websites and join online communities where they can talk to others that understand their challenges, to get to know what chemicals are in which products, what they are dealing with, what’s working for others and to get some kind of validation that they are not going crazy.
- Multiple Chemical Sensitive patients remove home furnishings from their homes (like couches and mattresses that off-gas.) I know of one woman who could not move into her new “non-toxic” dream home until it had off-gassed for over a year.
- They stop using fragrance products on their bodies and in their homes. They don’t allow other people wearing fragrances to enter their homes.
- They do not go down the laundry isle at the grocery store because of the odors there.
- The multiple chemical sensitive person has the tendency to withdraw from activities, friends and family in an attempt to eliminate chemical exposures.
Allopathic medicine recommendations: From what I’ve been reading, it’s highly recommended that practitioners refer these cases to psychotherapists as part of their treatment. Clinicians also are directed to encourage the MCS patient to get out into the world and not pay attention to their symptoms—after all, chemicals are not really affecting their body according to lab tests anyway. The theory being is that exposure to trigger chemicals is not life threatening.
My feeling here is that the patient will only go as fast as the slowest part of them is ready to go. Recommending the MCS client continue to work in a toxic environment without changes, get out, socialize and basically ignore their symptoms will NOT build a healer-patient relationship in a positive direction for those being challenged with this syndrome. You may get a head nod (and a fake smile) but these patients will go home, do more reading, try more things. . .and then go find another healer that listens! Frankly I just don’t blame them.
My own theories and notes about Multiple Chemical Sensitivity:
- If you are multiple chemical sensitive, learn to muscle test because you might be the only person that can help you when others don’t believe a word you’re saying.
- Multiple Chemical Sensitivity people are often Non-Secretors and are quite sensitive energetically to earth changes and other factors in their environment like electromagnetic fields.
- Maybe multiple chemical sensitive people are just canaries in the mine of Mother Earth to help us understand what we are doing to our planet.
- Undiagnosed people with MCS spend so much money trying to figure out what is wrong with themselves, often to no avail, that they often expend all their financial resources and end up being on disability. I truly believe they don’t want to be on disability, they’ve just run out of options.
- There seems to be no re-training programs for people that need to spend most of their time sequestered in their homes. They aren’t hermits. They socialize online and save their time units spent out of their homes for doctor visits.
- These are intelligent people! They don’t really want to live in bubbles.
- These patients are truly suffering as a result of their symptoms and deserve compassionate evaluation and management from healers who is sympathetic to their plight. We as healers need to protect them from unwarranted, dangerous and expensive management. If you can’t be non-judgmental as their healer, then you need to refer the client right away so they can utilize their funds in the most effective manner possible. If they are labeled improperly as “severely depressed” or “psychologically deranged” or whatever else gets written in their file, this will follow the patient over and over and delay them from getting the help they need. It’s OK to refer to another healer. Really. Your honesty is greatly appreciated from these patients.
- Having Multiple Chemical Sensitivities is a draw into the world of natural medicine. I know of one woman with MCS that is now a medical intuitive herself with her own radio show. She works from home like I do and rarely travels because of her fear of Sick Building Syndrome.
- It really doesn’t matter what methods and techniques work as long as they work for a time. Forgiveness and acceptance is part of the journey of a multiple chemical sensitive person (among other lessons of course.)
- MCS people have spent so much time studying up on their symptoms that they probably have more knowledge than the typical healer of any sort. They need and want to take part in their plan of action to feel comfortable with their healing team. They need to have advocates on their side who believes what they are saying.
- Often the MCS patient will have no insurance because they have lost their jobs and will have to pay for tests themselves. They are happy to research the tests that are being recommended and will happily partake in deciding which tests may be the most helpful in developing a treatment strategy. Let them use their instincts in making those decisions.
- I personally wouldn’t be without Professional Complementary Health Formulations products to help me manage my own and my client’s chemical sensitivities. Lawn and Garden detox, Sick Building Detox, Petroleum drops, Food Additive Detox drops, Mer and Amalgam Detox, Whole Body Detox and for my nurses, the Latex Gloves drops have been God-sends for us.
Do you have Multiple Chemical Sensitivity? Techniques helpful in the management of multiple chemical sensitivity include: Discovering the life lessons surrounding multiple chemical sensitivity, finding your voice, establishing boundaries with people, listening to that Still Small Voice within, meditation, detoxification, eating a diet higher in fruits and vegetables, finding your place in the world, being happy and eating certain foods for your blood type or genotype.
Helpful Links and References for Multiple Chemical Sensitivity:
- Here’s an article on the types of clothing to avoid and what types to use if you are MCS: https://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/05/12/21/the-6-synthetic-fabrics-you-most-want-to-avoid-and-why.htm
- Products for the Chemically and Electrically Sensitive:https://www.ctaz.com/~bhima/products.htm
- Multiple Chemical Sensitivity Information: https://www.aafp.org/afp/1998/0901/p721.html
- Multiple Chemical Sensitivities: https://www.multiplechemicalsensitivity.org/
Product of the Month:
Hydrochloric Acid products for Low Stomach Acid—Decreased Hydrochloric Acid (HCl):
It’s been quite the month around the nation for diarrhea, but this bout seems a bit different than most winters. With this last gastrointestinal disease wave I’ve noticed that there has been a huge increase in symptoms associated with decreased stomach acid. Somehow the bacteria have destroyed the ability (at least in part) of people to digest their foods properly and the amount of product flying off my shelves that contains betaine hydrochloride has just increased sharply.
Other predisposing factors that increase the need for more hydrochloric acid products is the ingestion of fast foods, salt free diets, antacid use, excessive vomiting/diarrhea, eating disorders, pregnancy, the aging process (as we age our production of HCl decreases), stress, excess nervousness, congenital weaknesses and the ingestion of fish oil capsules (wrong type of fish or taking the product when you don’t need it—yes, this product is over-recommended.)
Blood type A people, especially those who eat animal-based protein in excess, often have issues with low hydrochloric acid, and as Blood Type A people age, their production of HCl decreases more so than other blood types which is why they often need extra digestive enzymes in their nutritional protocols.
In this article I’m going to list the symptoms of low stomach acid, I’m going to talk about some product options you can get at your local health food store and of course about the supplements carried by heath care practitioners (that, in my opinion are better and which can be monitored as part of your consult) and a simple test that you can do at home to figure out a dosage if you don’t want a consult.
Now, many of you are on antacids for GERD and other digestive disorders. I’ve talked about this before. Antacids are not the way to go. . .they can cause osteoporosis, a host of other problems and eating for your blood type heals most of these cases “needing antacids” within three months. Antacids also prevent the absorption of nutrients your body needs to maintain good health.
So, let’s list those symptoms of decreased stomach acid:
- Adrenal exhaustion and insufficiency
- Adult acne
- Allergies to foods
- Anemia, pernicious
- Appetite, excessive
- Autoimmune diseases
- B12 Deficiency
- B6 Deficiency
- Bacterial Dysbiosis
- Broken capillaries
- Calcium deficiency leading to insomnia, cramps, nervousness
- Chronic infections
- Chronic weakness
- Constipation (with liver/gallbladder involvement)
- Delayed gastric emptying (food feels like it’s just sitting there in your stomach for hours)
- Diarrhea (with inflammatory bowel disease) or chronic diarrhea
- Drowsiness after meals
- Dysbiosis (bowel flora is out of balance)
- Eczema, psoriasis or the history of eczema
- Emaciation (a protein deficiency)
- Environmental Chemical Sensitivities
- Feeling too full
- Flatulence in general
- Food cravings for sour foods
- Hair dry and brittle (nails too)
- Hair falling out
- Heartburn/GERD/Acid reflux
- Immunity decreased
- Intestinal damage
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Leaky gut
- Loss of taste for meats
- Meal related bloating or burping
- Mucoid Colitis
- Nails, thin/weak or dry and brittle
- Offensive smelling stool
- Pimples turning into boils (can also indicate low exocrine pancreas function)
- Poor memory
- Poor muscle tone
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Swollen tongue
- Thyroid problems
- Ulcer like pains
- Vision disturbances
- Vitamins B3 (Niacin) deficiency—also called Pellagra
- White spots on nails
Products that help to increase hydrochloric acid in the stomach include:
- AF Betafood (For people with hypoglycemic, liver and gallbladder symptoms)
- Betaine Hydrochloride (HCl) (This is included in many Standard Process Products mentioned below and is used for problems associated with digestive disorders associated with immediate meal consumption)
- Cayenne pepper
- Celtic Sea Salt
- Digestive Enzymes (More so recommended for Blood Type A people)
- Folic Acid
- Inositol Hexaniacinate: Inositol hexaniacinate is a form of vitamin B3 (niacin). This dietary supplement may help reduce bad, or LDL cholesterol levels in people with hypercholesterolemia. Unlike niacin, inositol hexaniacinate is typically not associated with the niacin flush, the most common side effect of niacin, but inositol hexaniacinate should not be taken if you have any liver damage.
- Pancreatin PMG
- Phosfood drops (More so for people who also have gout or who create stones)
- Vinegar (Not recommended for blood types O and A because it irritates tissues and increases mucous production and phlegm.)
- Vitamin B Complex (Getting the correct brand for your body is important.)
- Zypan (Developed in 1958. Used with exocrine pancreas function and when not digesting carbs correctly and for digestive challenges that seem to manifest several hours after eating)
THE ZYPAN TEST:
Zypan, a supplement made by Standard Process labs, contains betaine hydrochloride, pepsin, and pancreatic enzymes. There are many ways to use Zypan. I feel that utilizing muscle testing is the best way to see if this product is the best one for you and for figuring out an exact dose for your needs. With that said, the suggested online protocol is to take:
- 3 tabs Zypan with your largest, most protein-rich meal of the day on the Day 1 then,
- 3 tabs Zypan with both lunch and dinner meals on Day 2 then,
- 3 tabs Zypan with each of three meals a day on Day 3.
- Continue to take 3 tabs Zypan with each meal for about 6 weeks, then back off gradually as low stomach acid symptoms diminish.
- Use symptomatically if/when needed after this treatment regime has been completed.
Side Effects of Zypan: Stomach pain and borborygmus (increased stomach gurgling) may be caused if taking too many Zypan pills to start (especially if you don’t need them or you have a beginning ulcer.) If you have any side effects that you feel uncomfortable with, stop taking the pills—at least until you consult with an educated experienced practitioner.
If you happen to get this product online without the accompanying support that the practitioner is supposed to be giving then I’d suggest starting out with one tab instead of three and work your way up to 3/meal. I’ve noticed that many practitioner protocols utilize the protocols suggested by the company which were designed for larger sized people which is why I like to tailor-make programs. We really DO want you to be well and not have you experience any negative side-effects while taking natural protocols because it makes our profession look better! So, if you’re purchasing online and they are not supporting you, please seek out a seasoned practitioner who knows what they are doing. It’s OK to get a second or third opinion too!
Please note that there is a drug out there called Zyban (Note the B) which is used for smoking cessation. This is not the same product as Standard Process Zypan (with a P.)
Helpful Links and References for Low Stomach Acid:
- Antacids: https://naturalhealthtechniques.com/specificdiseasesantacids_problems_associated.htm
- Asthma: https://naturalhealthtechniques.com/specificdiseasesasthma.htm
- Celtic Sea Salt: https://naturalhealthtechniques.com/fun-facts-about-salt.htm
- Standard Process Zypan Brochure: https://www.standardprocess.com/display/displayFile.aspx?docid=191&filename=/Public/Lit/TabSheets/zypan8475.pdf
- Read more on Inositol Hexaniacinate: https://www.livestrong.com/article/311553-inositol-hexaniacinate-side-effects/#ixzz1ovgwspFE
- Vitamin B12 Deficiency: https://naturalhealthtechniques.com/vitamin-b-12-cobalamin.htm
- Vitamin B6 Deficiency: https://naturalhealthtechniques.com/vitamin-b6-pyridoxine.htm
- Yeast Tactics: https://naturalhealthtechniques.com/specificdiseasesyeast_tactics1.htm
- Standard Process Zypan for Low Stomach Acid: https://www.standardprocess.com/display/StandardProcessCatalog.spi?ID=164
Media Reviews: (DVD):
If you’ve never heard of Multiple Chemical Sensitivity before this newsletter rent Season 4 Episode 5 (Blowing bubbles) of Northern Exposure. This show does a great job depicting what MCS is about and how the general public treats these types of cases (although I’ve never worn a space suit—I think they went a bit far there.) I could totally relate when the character went to the local doctor (who obviously didn’t believe in this disease.) The producers and writers really did a great job in researching the syndrome for this segment of the show.
Interview of the Month: Tonya Somers
This month, because some of my clients use psychics, I interviewed Lydia Hiby’s favorite psychic, Tonya Somers. My questions are in bold. Tonya’s contact information is at the bottom of the interview. Happy reading!
Interview with Tonya Somers, Psychic Clairvoyant
Tonya Somers background: Tonya Somers, a natural psychic, owns Psychic Answers by Tonya and has been a psychic for over 35 years. She has done readings for over 40,000 people all over the world and works only on the telephone. Her first psychic reading was given to her grandmother when she was four years of age. She convinced her grandmother not to go on a cruise because she felt she would not come back. Her grandmother listened to her and stayed home. The plane she was going to be on crashed the next day. Tonya has three sisters but none of them inherited the psychic gift that she, her grandma, mom and daughter Tasha have. She is a certified clinical hypnotherapist and life coach.
Have you always had the “gift” Tonya? Yes, I was born naturally clairvoyant. I’ve always finished people’s sentences, knew what was in the mail, who was on the phone and when there would be an earth disaster.
You engage quite a few healing modalities in your work Tonya including charged gems, aura healing, chakra balancing, mediumship, numerology and animals totems. What do you like working with best? Honestly, they are all the same—just tools that I use my clairvoyant abilities through. I am the one that has the energy. I really do not have a favorite, although I really like helping woman get rid of controlling men.
You are pretty amazing talking about people’s past lives. You pegged my husband right on. Are there certain questions people ask that you routinely get really good information about when it comes to past lives? Everyone is different and all their past lives are different—most of them are pretty normal, but I tend to use the past life information I get to find out why someone is afraid of water or bridges or commitment or why a person attracts anger into their lives.
So, you had your own radio show? That’s really exhausting! At least it was for me. Truly? Doing readings on the show for over three years was my favorite way of doing readings, and it was the most fun I ever had doing readings.
What was your strangest case? I worked with the woman whose husband headed up the Arian Nation and didn’t know it for 40 years of her marriage until they killed him. I helped her and the police find all his property and many secrets.
Do you work with police at all to help solve crimes? No, too many of my friends have actually been killed that way. Yikes, sounds like some interesting reading someday when you write a book Tonya!
Do you feel different symptoms for different natural disasters? For example I feel highly irritated and anxious 2-3 days before a big earthquake as do many of my clients. Yes, I have massive headaches before a tsunami or tidal wave, I’m anxious but more sick to my stomach and I won’t leave the house for anything for like three days just before a big earthquake.
Can you physically tell when mercury is in retrograde or there’s a full moon? Certain groups of people and pets are really affected by this. As a matter of fact, as a veterinarian whenever I had the choice, I would never do elective surgery on a full moon. Too much bleeding. Yes, mercury retrograde will always bring earthquakes when it is associated with a new or full moon. I have all these dates (past and present) listed and a description of what Mercury Retrograde is on my website: https://www.tonyasomers.com/what-is-mecury-retrograde.htm
How do you start your readings Tonya? I tune into you for 30 minutes before you call. I start the call by asking you your birthdate, name, brief description, and some other minor facts. Once you ask that first question, I tune into you and your spirit guides and relate the psychic information from the other side. For the best reading, you should prepare beforehand by lighting a candle or some incense and being in a relaxed and peaceful place.
Do you have certain cases you feel better handling than others? I can work with anyone as long as they are open-minded. I do not work with people that are closed off—those readings I turn down. I can tell within two sentences if we can work together or not.”
How did you and Lydia meet? We have been friends for about 20 years and were introduced by a mutual friend. We just instantly knew we could trust each other.
How did you figure out you could charge crystals? Most people know you can charge a crystal…..but I have 40 years of practice and I can make the energy that I wish each crystal to hold—like if someone wants to attract love, I use pink.
What did you look for in finding your line of crystals and gem jewelry? I use gems, not crystals so people can wear them everyday—so that they look like something pretty and normal. Many crystal jewels are just ugly or too metaphysical looking to wear to a normal job every day, so I use jewelry. I energetically clean the crystals myself before charging them with energy.
Do you recommend people get their birth month crystal or one they feel drawn to when a gemstone is chosen to charge up for your monthly program? Usually it is what they are drawn to or they may read what a crystal does in the pages on my website before purchasing a certain piece.
Your website is quite extensive Tonya! How long did it take to put it together? That is a compilation of over 15 years of work.
What are your hours and how come you work so late? My hours are 4pm to 2am so that I can accommodate all my clients around the world. Are you normally such a night owl? Yes, I have been a night owl since I was born. So is my daughter.
Tonya’s contact information is www.tonyasomers.com or www.morethangems.com. You can reach her by phone at (503) 625-0323, but email is best. Her email address is [email protected]. Her rates as of this interview are: 30 minutes for $100, 45 minutes for $125, 60 minutes for $150 and $200 for a 90 minute reading.
Ask Dr. Moffat:
Hello Dr. Moffat, my son is 10 months old and I breast fed him for 6 months and he has been on a dairy based formula now. When he turns one I do not want to give him cow’s milk and I wanted to know what you would recommend to be best for him. Thank you. Andrea
This should help Andrea. You’re not a client (I don’t recognize your last name or email at least) so if you can’t find something in the link below that you vibe with, you may want to think about making a consult and we can “divine” it out for you. https://naturalhealthtechniques.com/list-of-baby-formulas.htm
Hi Dr. Moffat, I read the following on your website:
“Homeopathics: I carry Food Additive Detox Dropswith me wherever I go as I experience heart arrhythmias, nausea, upset bowels, and asthma after ingesting sulfites and MSG. If you have similar problems, I may be able to help you.”
I’m just trying to learn as much as I can about my allergy. Back many years ago I broke out in hives due to taking a sulfur drug for a bladder infection. Now 25+ years later, yesterday in fact, I was allergy testing and was told I’m allergic to MSG and Sulfites. Reaction is over the top with swelling face and lips and trouble swallowing. Please provide me with any suggestions you have for management of this. I very much appreciate your help. Pamela K.
Dear Pamela: I think as we age we expose ourselves to more and more chemicals we become allergic to. If you listen to your body, you start to connection symptoms with associated foods. Many of my clients vibe well with the Blood Type Diet (www.dadamo.com), but depending on your nationalities the diet may not be 100% in alignment with your body. We are such a mix of nationalities these days. Chemical hide everywhere though, for example, even inhalers like Advair contain sulfites (which is another chemical people with MSG and sulfa allergies react to)—oh and the blue dyes in some meds can trigger reactions as well.
In any event, here is more information on the food additive detox drops but I’d need you to become a client (I only do phone consults now) before I can dispense them to you. Please do read the links on how to use homeopathics though, because people don’t understand why they would want to take drops that have (supposedly) everything they are allergic to in the drops. It doesn’t make sense to them because they don’t understand the homeopathic process. It’s my responsibility to help them through this and it often takes a bit of time to do that.
Food Additive Detox Drops
Food Additive Detox Drops by Professional Complimentary Health. These life-saving drops are a must for anyone allergic to MSG and sulfites and a host of other food additives. I keep a bottle in my purse when I travel or go out to eat. Cost: $15 plus S/H. Must order from a health professional like myself who carries the line. They are a homeopathic drop, so the vibrational field of the drop attracts those hyper allergenic substances that you have eaten and takes them out of your system. If you would like to read more about using homeopathics, and their use/history go to:
What’s in ’em? The vibrational frequencies of: Aspartame, Caffeine, Chocolate, Citric Acid, Dextrose, Food Colorings, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, MSG, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Metabisulfite, Sodium Nitrate, Sodium Nitrite, Sulfites, Tricalcium Phosphate, Vegetable Gum (Carrageen) and Xanthum Gum. (Yes, the things you are allergic to should be in a homeopathic formula if you want to excrete it from your body.)
NOTE: We need to establish a client/patient relationship before I can send you these drops. Once I have that, you can have refills without further consultation. Here’s the handout link for What I Do and how I work (and the cost for this): https://www.naturalhealthtechniques.com/About%20Us/what_I_do.htm
Tips and Tricks for a Healthier Life:
The Six Most Toxic Cleaning Agents to have and use in your home: This is a list of the cleaning agents that most often cause allergies. I’ve honed this list through experience and through muscle testing thousands of clients over the years. I hope it helps someone you love!
- Room deodorizers (wick type)
- Scrubbing bubbles
- Simple green
Disposing of Sacred Books: What do you do with Bibles that are beyond repair? Wouldn’t it feel kind of creepy just to dump it into a recycle bin just like that? With no reverence for what it has contributed to your life? Well, if you have a Bible or other precious books you need to dispose of, consider the following prayer offered by ELCA (Lutheran Church) before you place the item in one of those green and yellow paper retriever bins:
“We give thanks to you, O Lord of Knowledge and Truth, that you have provided for us the written word for our guidance and growth. While words written on paper may decay, we ask that the Word made flesh, our Lord Jesus Christ, may always live in our hearts and minds. We remember now the persons from whom these Bibles have come. The pages once read, now brittle and yellowing, are now returned for renewal. May they make new paper on which truth, beauty, and joy may be known. In the name of the Living Word, Jesus Christ, we pray.”
(Thanks to my son-in-law Pastor Brian Robison for this tip.)
Client Testimonials: Doc’s Permanent Home.
I just had to share part of this story about a dog adopted from an animal shelter in Montana five years ago. This wonderful woman cooks for Doc and makes bone broth to keep him healthy and to stave off the old-age arthritis. She’s an awesome owner! I’d love to come back as one of her pets. . .
I will have to say that if any of you have adopted a pet through a shelter that most shelters have a large bulletin board to post success stories. Working at shelters has given me a new appreciation for reading these stories and I do so enjoy watching others read them. The bulletin board at the Lewis-Clark Animal Shelter in Lewiston, ID where I worked for almost three years is in the hall on the way to the public rest room. People would stand at that wall for up to 30 minutes reading the thank you notes. The notes with pictures really draw attention so please include pictures. Photos also catch the eyes of potential donators. We spend a lot of time trying to match the right person to the right animal so that they don’t have to come back. Volunteers are truly dedicated in giving them the best experience they can while they are waiting to be adopted. They teach them tricks, cuddle and hug the ones that need extra attention and of course we cry if we can’t find them homes. So, we live for these kind of stories. Thanks Aimee for sending it. (I’m posting just part of her very long thank you.)
“When we adopted ‘Doc’ at ten years of age we had been looking for nearly a year. We had developed a list of preferred behaviors, and likewise of things we couldn’t deal with – and our list was long! At the top though, was our first requirement that the dog be an older dog between 5-10. After adopting him we tried all sorts of food for him but he kept having itchy skin or some sneezing or some reaction and if we went even for a mild short walk he couldn’t get up the next day. At wits end, we consulted a medical intuitive named Denice Moffat over the phone in Idaho who is coincidentally also a veterinarian. She has been dead-on right about everything she sensed in him, and has left local vets scratching their heads trying to figure out how she figured it all out! In one instance, she told us that he had serious infections in his canine teeth. After taking him to several vets who refused to remove them, we finally found one who went with it, and sure enough when she pulled them out they popped out like butter and the infection was really evident, just all hidden up in his sinuses. Next Denice put him on a home-cooked diet, and wouldn’t you know it, within several weeks his arthritis disappeared, his eyes became normal and less bulgey, he didn’t itch, and he slept through the night soundly and got up ready to go for anything!”
“He has become a dear friend to our family, but especially to children, other dogs, and amazingly enough, all cats of the world! We have an only child, and at the time he came to live with us, she was just getting old enough to begin to play on her own for a bit while I got stuff done around the house, but often she just didn’t want to be in her room by herself. That dog became the best babysitter money could buy! Suddenly she had the courage to stay occupied without me for a good 20-30 minutes! He gave me time to do dishes and make dinner and even have some time to just sit and have a cup of tea!!! She would dress him in all sorts of fairy and princess costumes or ‘harness’ him to her doll stroller like a pony cart. And he never complained, in fact strange as it may seem, he really seemed to love it!”
Dr. Moffat’s note: Doc is still with us and is now mentoring a younger pup named Dolly. His job continues (and so does mine keeping him healthy and happy and living the life all dogs deserve!)
Healthy Recipes: Dilled Carrots
Dilled Carrots with Butter
This is one of my favorite “fancy” vegetable dishes. Elegant enough to serve to guests and oh so easy to make.
- 3 cups peeled/sliced Organic Carrots
- 1 teaspoon Dill Herb (not seed)
- 2 teaspoons Organic Butter
Put the carrots and dill herb into a saucepan with a bit of water, cover and let cook for about 10 minutes until done (we like our carrots a bit crisp still but you can cook it longer if you prefer them to be softer.) Drain the water into the chicken scrap bucket. Add the butter to the carrots. Stir. Serve hot.
Notes: Dill (Anthum graveolens) contains monoterpenes, flavonoids, is a good source of calcium and is high in arginine (an amino acid.) Dill is used for digestion, hiccoughs, diarrhea, as a hormone balancer, for respiratory disorders (allergies, coughing, congestion), as a mouth freshener, antioxidant, relaxant, diuretic, carminative, antispasmodic, antiflatulent and as a galactogogue. Galactogogues stimulate the production of milk—maybe this is why pregnant women like dill pickles?
Helpful Links and References for Dilled Carrots:
Inspiration & Perspective:
One minute YouTube video of a dog playing the piano. Pretty good voice too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiblYasnzWE
On Aging from tut.com: What if every wrinkle, scar, or gray hair only made you more beautiful? What if every tear you’ve shed, mistake you’ve made, and challenge you’ve faced, only drew you closer to the light? And what if for every breath you’ve taken, every sentence you’ve spoken, and every path you’ve chosen, your fans in the unseen multiplied? Well, I’d say it’s about time you found out. Be proud, we are – The Universe www.tut.com
Ahh, and here’s my favorite video of the month about spreading good in your day along the way. I think you’ll like this one: https://www.karmatube.org/videos.php?id=2748
Michael and I are enjoying reading the blog of a wonderful friend of ours whom we met though the Pioneers for the Possible and Miracle Mastery Programs many years ago. Reverend Bonnie Barnard shares Soulful Stories and Spiritual Practices through her website: https://BonnieBarnard.com. Here is one of the posts from a while back that engaged us: https://bonniebarnard.com/human/starbucks-creating-jobs-seeding-lives/ I’ll be doing an interview with Bonnie for the next newsletter, so if you have any questions you would like answered, please email me. She definitely has the gift of prayer and I do refer to her services occasionally as special cases come up.
What’s New at Our House?
Planting season has started around our house. Is it too early for that? Well, we love to explore season extension ideas.
This year we’re offering 16 farm memberships—A private club where the members can pick what they want. We’ll weigh it on the way out and put a punch in a punch card that they purchase when they pay for their membership. We’ve never done anything like that before, but we want to know the people who come onto our farm as they will be part of our extended family that we’ll be building. Michael and I are pretty excited about the whole thing. Renee Huffaker and I finally got the website up and running to the degree that I can share that link with you. It’s https://ElkMeadowNursery.com if you’re interested. We also put regular updated information on our farm Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elk-Meadow-Farm-Nursery/209184999104914
Sunday March 31 Yoga with Deb workshop in Deary, ID: Deb says, “As promised there will be a Yoga Workshop Saturday March 31 from 1:30-4:00pm in the new larger Yoga Room upstairs from the current yoga room. The title of the Yoga Workshop will be ‘Renew Your Resolution.’ We will discuss ways to stick to our resolutions (whatever they are….you do not need to tell what they are) practice a little yoga and then end with some restorative yoga and breathing exercises. My hope is that we will find new strength within ourselves for resolving to make a positive difference in our own lives and perhaps those around us as well. I ask that anyone interested in attending this yoga workshop please let me know ahead of time so I can plan on how many mats and props to have available.” The fee for the workshop will be $25.00. Contact Deb Pehrson for more info at [email protected] or via telephone at (208) 877-1243.
That’s it for this month. Be well.
Dr. Denice Moffat