Get all the latest from Natural Health Techniques delivered directly to your inbox when you join our newsletter here.

Stay in touch:

Sign up for occasional updates/videos/tips/specials and receive the Fast-Start Bonus Report with or 150 Tips and Tricks to optimize your health today!

What is Splenda (Sucralose)?

Splenda: Splenda is similar to a chlorinated pesticide. It is 600 times sweeter than table sugar. Although it has no calories some research indicates that it may actually stimulate the appetite.  Splenda is a tri-chlorinated sugar, which releases chlorine into our bodies and is made with acetic acid and toluene (a carcinogenic substance). Chlorine destroys the immune system and can cause many autoimmune diseases and disturb vital functions.

One small study of diabetic patients using the sweetener showed a statistically significant increase in glycosylated hemoglobin (Hba1C), which is a marker of long-term blood glucose levels and is used to assess glycemic control in diabetic patients. According to the FDA, “increases in glycosylation in hemoglobin imply lessening of control of diabetes.”

Research in animals has shown that sucralose can cause many problems in rats, mice, and rabbits, such as:

  • Abortion of fetus
  • Atrophy of lymph follicles in the spleen and thymus
  • Decreased red blood cell count (anemia)
  • Decreased weight of fetus and placenta
  • Diarrhea
  • Enlarged liver and kidneys
  • Extended pregnancies
  • Increased cecal weight
  • Pelvic hyperplasia
  • Reduced growth rate
  • Shrunken thymus gland up to 40% shrinkage (the thymus is responsible for our immunity)

There have been no long-term studies thus far on the use and challenges from using Sucrulose (Splenda). Two studies show that 11-40% of the Splenda consumed is absorbed while the rest is excreted in through the feces. They don’t exactly know where this buildup is going but it seems to sequester in the liver, kidneys and gastrointestinal tract.

Some testimonies from humans taking Splenda include symptoms such as:

(Reference: https://suewidemark.com/splenda.htm )

  • Bloating, severe
  • Bright red rash and welts
  • Chest pain
  • Decreased coordination
  • Diminished driving skills
  • Dry heaves
  • Dulled senses
  • Excessive crying (emotional wreck)
  • Food poisoning symptoms (lasting for days)
  • Forgetful
  • Generalized body pain
  • Headaches
  • Hypersensitive to noise
  • Hypertension
  • Insomnia
  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Irritability
  • Itching
  • Knee and leg pains (shooting pain) Act III popcorn testimonial
  • Lack of focus
  • Moody
  • Panic attacks
  • Stomach cramps (severe)
  • Withdrawn and disinterested from life
  • Zoned out

The FDA acknowledges that sucralose is 98% pure. The other 2% is composed of:

  • Heavy metals such as lead
  • Arsenic
  • Chlorinated Disaccharides and Monosaccharides
  • Methanol
  • Triphenilphosphine Oxide

Helpful Links and References for Splenda: